From a real life angle

13th February, 2017.


"The sun scorched so much and I was dehydrating exponentially. The entropy in my body aggrandized and there was an urgent need to restore orderliness. My movements were flabby towards the nearby shop, sought for shade and awaited a hawker of "pure water" for revival.
Then fortunately, he walked past me, a human hawking "pure water" and I beckoned to him with the last joule of energy in me. He scurried towards me and asked, 'how many?' I replied gesticulating with my fingers. Without further ado, he handed over to me two sachet of water and allowed me to gulp it down my throat before requesting for his money.
 'owo mi nko? (where is my money?)' he asked after I regained my composure. Then, momenentarily, my photoreceptors set to work and my brain processed the impulse. I now recognised who stood before me, it was a boy (name withheld), probably of age range 9 - 11.
 'owo mi nko?' he asked further and consequently, I dipped my hand into my pocket and gave him a 50 Naira note. There was this instinct to engage the boy in a conversation and I did
 'at this time of the day, are you not supposed to be in school?' I asked with a voice consumed with pity. And he replied  "I need money to proceed, I've completed my primary school education and I need some money to proceed into a secondary school. The clearance, it needs money which my parent cannot afford.'
 I heaved a deep sigh and asked further, "how much is the money?" and he replied with an exultating tone, "#6000" Then my mouth opened aghast and the cooling breeze suddenly turned to a whirlwind of a blazing fire.
 "6000 Naira!" I soliloquized repeatedly like a recluse untill the boy went out of sight.

That is a case of a kid out of 1001 kids on the street. Now I ask myself, if the boy raises the money, will he go back to school? If he doesn't, then the society breeds more of rascals than erudites, then what does the future hold for us?
Further more, who do we blame for the predicament of the child. The parents who have failed in their responsibilities? Or the government who fails in securing a better interest for the minority? Or the elite who live with an indifferent attitude?
Sometimes, my mind is engulfed with guilt of his predicament, but often times I shrug it off, assuring myself ostensibly that I shouldn't care, moreover he isn't my family. Do you also have those feelings?
Have you ever thought of kids living on the street? Because they don't constitute your family, so they don't matter to you at all?
Know this, they matter to you, because you as an elite desires a prospectful nation, and who do you think will cause the setback of the desired nation? Elite like your type? Or the kids on the street? You have the answers cuddle around you.  Let's revive the street so that it's hospitable to live, so we can hope for a better future.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thoughts of a Sane Madman

Twenty Something Letters

SOUVENIR OF WAR